Wednesday, July 8, 2009

From 18-year-old Dave

Dear Future me, 5/26/05
Whats up? Hopefully your mission and school went well, really well. Don't get married yet! Wait a couple more years. As I've said so many times before, I think I'll major in International Relations and get an International law degree after that before becoming a Foreign Service Officer. How are those plans?
This is my last day of high school. EVER. It is frightening, but exciting, but more unusual and frightening. I don't really know how to explain without using cliches. It doesn't feel like the end. It feels as if I'll still come to school tomorrow. I suppose that is how it feels every year, but this year is so different. Well a lot of things happened this last year--I got turned loose in Finland and got to examine my beliefs; All-State for the 2nd year, first make-out and french kisses; tough time working with Ahmet; messing up with Sarah and dating Suzanne. Better (best) friends with Amanda and better with others like Nic and Joslyn and kayla. Had an awesome time in Figments and South Pacific--sang 2 solos. I'm the senior speaker at commencement--so soon!!! (3 days) Oh and lots of trouble with Mom and Dad over scholarships, money, Ahmet and the fact that they are old and its hard for them to understand me.
I don't know that I'm ready to move on--I guess I'll have to be. Its just part of growing up. Man I'll miss this place and these people.
Sorry my writing is so bad--I cut my right index finger on a weed last night so it hurts to write with it.
I guess that overall I'm pretty scared for this "graduation" (oh, no wonder its called graduation!), but almost just as excited.

We'll see what happens--do something great!

--David Patterson Hansen

5 comments:

mustdestroyalltraces said...

hahahaha.

i'm glad you made note of "first make-out and french kisses."

reading this makes me wish i had written a similar letter to my current self, but i'm pretty sure it would just make me embarrassed for my former self... so maybe it's best that i didn't.

Unknown said...

Glad you documented the important times in your life...like kissing.

Emily said...

Ha ha, that's great. And, uh, how did you cut your finger on a weed?

Sarah and Mark said...

Pretty fun to read! It's amazing how much changes and how much doesn't. This is a good little time capsule!

Kim said...

Love how that background cropped- it really draws attention to the picture of you jumping...and Marilyn.